Saturday, November 23, 2013

GRATITUDE

Read a quote recently which I liked.
"Happy people are not grateful- grateful people are happy."

I am thankful that many years ago Oprah Winfrey (sometimes I like her and sometimes I'm not so sure) had a show which encouraged her viewers to keep a Gratitude Journal.  We have received  similar advice from Henry B. Eyering,  to journal each day how we see the hand of God in our lives.

This sounds a bit weird (nothing knew for me ), but I am thankful that it seems pretty easy for me to be grateful.  I think it is actually hard for some people.  For some people, it seems like what is challenging or "bad" in life, is what jumps out at them.  They seem very negative and are quick to find fault in others and in the world around them. This causes them to have a lack of peace in their life.  I have also noticed that these type of people also seem reticent to compliment others or show appreciation for others.

Now don't get me wrong, I am far from perfect in this respect.  I do find joy, wonder, and good things every day, no matter that there are challenges and frustrations there each day as well.  In spite of the fact that there is plenty of rotten stuff going on in this old world, always has been and always will be, I am still able to rejoice in what is good and find peace in my life.  However, I also have had to admit to myself, many many times, that I can have issues with being too quick to judge others at times.  Sometimes this can be a reflection of who I am spending time with, for it is easier to get caught up in griping and whining when we are with someone else who has this same weakness.  I know I have been guilty of judging when in a group.

This is not New Years, and the time for resolutions, but I have been working on this and making it a matter of prayer.  I am grateful for the principle of repentance and forgiveness-- so grateful!  I have been so very blessed in this earthly life.  I had parents, who although they weren't practicing church-goers, taught me the value of honesty, hard work, kindness, and giving to others.  I have a wonderful husband, beautiful children, and terrific grandchildren.  I live in a wonderful neighborhood, and country, and have a warm home and clothes to wear and plenty of food to eat.  Thanks, Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment