Sunday, February 28, 2016

TEACHING, A SACRED CALLING

From my journal, February 28, 2016

I was touched this week by an article in the Ensign, written by President Monson, about teaching.  I don't know if I can adequately express how important my Sunday school students are to me.  I feel that teaching teenagers about the gospel and striving to help them gain a testimony is the most sacred of callings.  I remember how much I wanted to understand God at that age when questioning seems to be very common.  The  following words by our prophet are most inspiring to me.

"In the Church, the goal of gospel teaching is not to pour information into the minds of God's children, whether at home, in the classroom, or in the mission field.  It is not to show how much the parent, teacher, or missionary knows.  The aim is to inspire individuals to think about, feel about, and then do something about living gospel principles.  The objective is to develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and to become converted to His gospel."

The reason I often spend weeks preparing a lesson is so I can find ways to lead our discussions and stimulate thought in such a way as to help my students truly become converted.  I want them to know there is a place for them in the gospel of Jesus Christ, regardless of where they are on the path of faith and discipleship.  This weighs heavy on my heart every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment